onsdag 24 oktober 2012

My name is Bond, James Bond


There is a sentence in this spy novel about the young Bond that is stuck in my mind, and the sentence is ”Nobody can hold a Bond forever” (p.263)

My first thoughts were when I got the book that this is an other product that the film industry wants kids to buy, a way to introduce them to the grown up Bond. To sort of create a need for their product - The Agent 007 James Bond. But after only a chapter or so I couldn't stop reading. I liked what I read. The prehistory of James Bond's childhood felt quite true. It COULD have happened. I haven't read any of Ian Fleming's books about James Bond but I have seen many of the films, so I think I know the character quite well.

It's quite interesting how the author tries to explain how young Bond learns:
  • to fight (from Red)
  • to use different gadgets (from his uncle) that Red hides in a heel in one of Bond's boots
  • to keep fit by exercises (running) which comes in handy when he has to run for his life
  • to drive a car fast
  • to solve problems that he encounters – in this case how to escape from being locked in a small room
  • about the secret life of an agent (from his uncle)




Young Bond is also introduced to the opposite sex - Wilder Lawless. I guess this is when the seed is planted for his appetite for women later in life. I wonder why the two females in this book are portrayed by the author to be so masculine – Wilder on her horse and aunt Charmaine in her car? They seem to be so different from the women that James Bond ”meets” later on when he’s an adult.

These last days in Swedish media you can read about what has taken place in a Swedish boarding school where students have been bullying other (younger) students quite badly. This is also what happens in James Bond’s school Eton. This is something that happens in other schools too, and it’s a important subject to discuss with the students. What I found interesting is how James transforms from not doing anything when George and his friends bullied him, to stop the bullying just with a look into their eyes. How come? Why was he able to stop the bullying without fighting? That’s a topic the students could discuss, too.

I really enjoyed reading this book, and I will recommend it to some of my more advanced students.

7 kommentarer:

  1. Ewa, I was also quite surprised when I realised that I quite enjoyed reading the book. Of course, there are a lot of elements that can be discussed in the book, but instead of being what I thought it would be, an action story where boys are the best and girls are silly and not being able to look after themselves, it wasn´t. Ok, there are still at lot of hero clichés, but not in the way I thought it would be. The threat comes from an American, the girls/women seem to be able to look after themselves and James is quite thoughtful and wants to help. Not what I expected.

    Yes, "Silverfin" follows the pattern that Margery Hourighan writes about in her article; the hero is a white male, he leaves his civilized home (Eton) and sets out on a journey into the wild (The Scottish hihglands), encounters difficulties that he overcomes (Lord Hellebore), returns home and is rewarded (no more bullying). The story is also quite violent, but I still liked reading it. A bit strange really. I do think though, that an interesting action-filled story would be easier to discuss with my students, then e.g. "The Coral Island". Everyone in my class would read "Silverfin" and probably enjoy it, since it is a thrilling story and from that point of view it is easier to discuss the content. Does the book have to be so violent? Why are there so few girls in it? Is Eton really a "good" school? How do you think the death of James´s parents will affect him (he does not really want to think about what happened to them)? Has he become tougher at the end and is that a good or bad thing?

    So, as long as we take the time to discuss the books we choose to read with our students, I think most books will work.

    SvaraRadera
  2. I think one has to remember that one can have different aims in reading a book. Reading a book in a Swedish and in English is to me two completedly different things. In Swedish, I would not chose a book like Silverfin in class as it is the kind of book the will read anyway on their own. I would not mind them reading it at all as reading fpr pleasure is the best thing to improve their reading skill.

    Reading the book in English in class, then it is a great book. It is well written, has a good vocabulary, follows the typical plot as Hourighan writes about and that we are very familiar with, which makes the reader understand the story. It is a real page turner so for learning the language it is a great book!

    One also get to discuss and learn about public and comprhensive schools, Scotland, the class system, first and second world war.

    I think in the context of learning a language it helps that it is following the pattern of the hero story, and it is a great book to read on the level of entertainment.

    SvaraRadera
  3. I was also surprised that I really enjoyed reading the book!( Even if I am familiar with Ian Fleming's books.) It seemed so far away to recycle a young James Bond and I must say, I'm a little bit tired of this sort of character. However a new film is now released!

    As you mentioned Lina, you can have different aims when you choose a book. Using Silverfin in class would be a perfect way talking about the British schoolsystem, the patterns Margery Hourihan points out, why books still continues be written in this similar way.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Mona, I haven't read that many action books and I haven't watch many films so I guess I'm still not that fed up with these kind of stories, it is still a bit of a novalty to me:)

      Radera
  4. I wonder how it would work if I read the book to my pupils not telling them the titel or what's it all about - and of course not showing them the cover. How long would it take before they figured out who's the main character?

    SvaraRadera
  5. Hm interesting ... I tried reading just 7 lines from Star wars - and a girl knew and that was grade 7 ... the name Luke gave it away ...

    SvaraRadera
  6. Where is the irony and satire we meet in the original Bond stories?Is there any in Silverfin that I am not aware of or is it a choice by Higson just as well as he seems to have changed the female characters to be more masculine. Maybe he thinks this is more suitable for young readers?

    SvaraRadera